How exciting is it that over the last four and a half years we have grown our community to include thousands of people?! Throughout our journey, we have been fortunate to receive so much valuable feedback and the highest regards from members in our community. One of our favourites that comes up time and again is how our members and heroes end up feeling like family.
When we started Home Care Heroes in 2016, we never realised just how much impact we would have on people’s lives. Mat and I started Home Care Heroes after becoming his parents’ primary caregivers while his dad battled with lung cancer and his mum suffered from a brain disease called encephalitis. Helene and Gerry went from being independent and outgoing to being lost, confused, disconnected and lonely. Our biggest problem wasn’t finding medical care; it was finding a way for them to re-engage with the community and improve their independence while we were working full time.
We are excited to announce that as of October 1st 2020, we are changing our name to Like Family, in order to more accurately represent our identity and impact within the community.
Our objective has always been to create a new category of care that connects individuals based on their hobbies, interests, and location - empowering the members in our community to build meaningful relationships to pursue and achieve their goals.
Even though we are putting the Home Care Heroes name behind us, we are still the same organisation and team! At Like Family we are the social, non-medical care provider of choice for people in need, their families and partners in the care industry.
- Our mission carries on to be the same - reducing social isolation and loneliness. We believe that everybody needs somebody and that is why we connect people in need with people who care.
- Our services remain untouched - improving wellbeing, independence and building relationships through non-medical companionship. Providing relatability, reliability and flexibility.
- Our objective continues making social inclusion more affordable and accessible to anyone in need, regardless of government funding. For that reason, our services are provided at an affordable flat rate - irrespective of time of day or weekends. Whilst always making sure that our social carers are being paid fairly.
The only thing that will be changing is some of our terminology. In order to align with the new branding:
- Heroes will now be regarded as Social Carers
- Missions will turn into Activities
We are very excited to step into this new chapter altogether, and are thrilled to see how the Like Family community keeps on growing. We have made these changes so that we can continue to enjoy life, together!
Lots of love,
Jenna & Mat