In response to the guidelines set by advice from the World Health Organisation, and to protect the health and safety of the community during the COVID-19 pandemic, we’ve set up solutions that help Social Carers host activities online.
Choosing a video conferencing service
Like Family now includes the option to book online with any member, regardless of their location. We recommend using video conferencing services like Google Hangouts, Zoom, or Jitsi. Learn more about a few popular video conferencing services.
This is a feature test to be further developed based on user feedback in response to Coronavirus disease (COVID-19). Any feedback you have about this would be greatly appreciated.
If your video booking is 30 minutes or less, it will be charged at $20. We will make this adjustment before you are invoiced.
Bookings made as normal
The only differences are that we've added an extra option under "OnlineBooking," when you are making a new booking request. The person receiving the booking request will also see an indication that this is a video booking.
Agree on the tool you’d prefer to use to do an online booking. You can speak over a call, or have a video chat.
Do you both have Apple devices? If so...
- Exchange numbers with your Social Carer/Member and add them as contacts on your phone.
- At the time of booking, go to the contacts app on your phone.
- Create a new contact or tap on the already existing contact.
- Tap the video button to start a video call.
If not, you can use Google Duo on your phone:
- Download Google Duo on your phone from the App store or Google Play.
- Follow the instructions to get started. Give access to your camera and contacts.
- Exchange phone numbers with your Member / Social Carer.
- If they are not yet a contact on your phone, add them as a new contact by entering their phone number in.
- If they are already a contact on your phone, you'll be able to send them a Duo invitation.
For more detailed instructions on how to set it up, go to: https://www.androidcentral.com/how-set-and-use-google-duo#setup
At the time of the booking...
At the time of the booking, select your contact and tap "Video call" on your app of choice.
We hope you enjoy your virtual activity!