There is nothing more important to Like Family than the safety, health and happiness of our Members, Social Carers and community. As COVID-19 (Coronavirus) continues to spread around the world, we acknowledge that companionship and emotional support during these challenging times, particularly for the most vulnerable in our community, is needed now more than ever. One way we can achieve this while maintaining social distancing is via Video Bookings.
Why is Like Family Launching Video Bookings?
Like Family is on a activity to end loneliness and help everyone in the community to reach their goals through the power of human connection. Social Distancing does mean physically keeping apart from each other to prevent the virus spreading, but it doesn’t mean we need to be emotionally distant. Video Bookings are a new way of staying connected and sharing experiences together. They promote social distancing while allowing our Members and Social Carers to maintain their social well-being and reach their goals.
By staying alert and incorporating a number of extra measures, we can help prevent the spread of COVID-19, keep each other healthy and be there for each other, to maintain a positive state of mental health.
What are the Benefits of Video Bookings?
- Emotional support and companionship. As we are all aware, pandemics are stressful times. This is especially so for our Members, who may be feeling anxious, vulnerable and concerned for their health. Through Video Bookings, Social Carers can teach Members how to take extra precautions and can remind them to do so, such as thoroughly washing hands. This promotes a positive state of mental health during these emotionally taxing times.
- Distraction from stress and anxiety. Taking part in activities or games, working towards a goal or just talking about topics separate from the pandemic can distract Members who are feeling particularly stressed or anxious.
- Continued progression towards reaching personal goals. Many personal goals such as fitness goals, or help with writing a resume are all achievable through Video Bookings.
- Learning and Development. Get help with homework, coursework or other skills you’re looking to gain or improve on with a Social Carer who can coach or tutor you.
- Continued participation in interests, passions and hobbies – just in a somewhat different way! It can be difficult to ‘keep your chin up’ when social distancing becomes a necessity for your health. Participating in activities and engaging in interests with someone over video call can keep a degree of normality and positivity in your life.
How Can Members Request a Video Booking?
Bookings are placed on the Like Family platform as you normally would, the only difference is that we've added an extra option under "Video Booking" when you make a new booking request. The person receiving the booking request will also see an indication that this is a video booking. Pricing for video bookings remains at the $40 per hour flat rate including weekends and public holidays, with a 1 hour minimum.
After you place your request for a video booking, the Member and Social Carer can agree on the tool they would prefer to use - such as FaceTime, WhatsApp Video Call, Facebook Messenger Video or Google Duo. In this way, Members and Social Carers can stay in touch and interact with one another via video call.
If you would like to know more about how a video booking works, visit https://landing.homecareSocial Carers.com.au/video-bookings/
Here are 5 actions Like Family is taking to combat COVID-19 (Coronavirus): https://landing.homecareSocial Carers.com.au/actions-to-combat-coronavirus-covid19/
For more information on COVID-19 (Coronavirus), the symptoms, how it spreads and what can help to prevent the spread, visit: https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert
If you're feeling unwell and have symptoms of COVID-19 call your GP. They will be able to tell you whether to attend in person. You can also call the Coronavirus Health Information Line for advice on 1800 020 080. If you require translating or interpreting services, call 131 450.
Reporting exposure: If you or someone you have been in contact with has tested positive for COVID-19, contact Like Family immediately by calling (02) 6181 1906 or emailing hello@homecareSocial Carers.com.au
Here When You Need Us
If you have any questions or concerns you can call us on (02) 6181 1906 from 8.30am – 5.30pm, Monday-Friday. Please call us for out of hours support options.
Follow us on Facebook, where we will be posting more updates on companionship during the COVID-19 pandemic.